TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. CHILDREN’S REGISTRATION FEE
An annual Registration Fee is required for classes Sep – Jun. The fee is nonrefundable and nontransferable. A $35 administrative fee applies to each change of class. Except for Twinkles and Star Tots classes, enrollment requires a 10-month commitment and full tuition obligation. Students are expected to continue classes until the end of the dance season that ends with the annual June dance performances. If a student drops out of class(es) before the commitment has been met, the full amount of tuition for classes through June is still due.
Tuition is due in advance. There are no credits for missed classes. A service fee of $25 per month will apply to overdue accounts. A $50 service fee will be charged for any bank check returned unpaid. Future tuition payments will be accepted only by credit, cash, or money order. Lessons may be discontinued until payment is made.
3. INJURY RELEASE
Participation in any physical activity involves risk of accidental injury despite any and all safety precautions. Understanding the activities to be conducted at or by Star Dance Studio, you, as an individual or as a parent or guardian of the participants named herein, assume all risks and hazards incidental to the activities, and release from responsibility and all liability, claims, costs, damages including attorneys fees and costs, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless to Star Dance Studio, its owners, directors, instructors, independent contractors, land owners, volunteers, and all employees from any loss or damage of property, any illness, including COVID-19, injury or damage to me or my child(ren) or family members occurring during your participation in any activities conducted by Star Dance Studio.
Regular attendance is essential for progress in dance. Children are expected to attend all of their classes. If it is necessary for a child to be absent from class, the studio should be notified prior to the class. Private lessons for absences may be required if the instructor feels the student needs to catch up with the rest of the class. Students with excessive absences* which interfere with individual or class progress will be disqualified from participation in dance rehearsals and performances. Except in cases of true emergency, students who drop out of one or more classes before completing the current dance season will not be eligible for future enrollment.
Children who are absent from 3 or more classes between September & December will require private lessons to learn the missed dance technique. Students with more than 5 absences from classes/rehearsals between January and June and/or 2 consecutive absences in the 3 weeks prior to performance can be disqualified from participating in performances.
5. MISSED CLASSES AND MAKE-UPS FOR CHILDREN’S PROGRAM
A maximum of 2 make-up classes for absences per student, per enrolled class are available from October through May. A make-up in another class of similar grade level may be scheduled by appointment and taken within 30 days of the absence. Make-up classes are on a space available basis. If none is available, the class must be forfeited. There are no make-up classes available during September and June. Perfect Attendance awards are awarded to students who miss no more than 2 classes October – June. Make ups do not apply to Adult Classes.
It’s important to be on time for classes. Latecomers miss the important warm-up exercises and miss valuable instruction. Students who arrive 15 or more minutes late may not be allowed to participate in the class. If a student is late on a regular basis, unless special arrangements have been made, a change in class assignment will be required. If no other class is suitable or available, the student may be dismissed without refund of tuition.
7. EMERGENCY INFORMATION
Every student is required to have up-to-date emergency information on file at Star Dance Studio. Students may not participate in class or performances until emergency contact information has been provided by the parent/guardian.
8. EMAIL ADDRESS
Notices and other important information are delivered to parents and adult students via email. An email address is necessary for all Star Dance students. If you don’t have an email address of your own, you may give us the email address of a friend or relative who would be willing to print and pass on the notices to you.
If you are going to be absent from class, please call us. (415) 564-1200.
9. DANCEWEAR AND APPEARANCE
All classes have dress code requirements. These are listed on the Star Dance Studio schedule under each class description.
The correct dancewear for the class is required by the 2nd class after enrollment. Underclothing should not be visible. Students who are not suitably dressed will not be permitted to participate in the class. Star Dance warm-up jacket or a wrap-around dance sweater may be worn in class on colder days. Non-dress code items may not be worn during classes. Shoes should be labeled with student’s first initial and full last name. Dance shoes are to be reserved for the dance floor and never worn outdoors. Tap shoes need to be regularly checked for loose or protruding nails/screws and repaired before use. Hair must be neat and off the face. Face, hands and dancewear should be clean. Not permitted: Tattoos, unusual hair colors, jewelry, and heavy perfume.
All visitors (including family) must sign in. Visitors are limited to 3 in the mezzanine studio and 4 in the main studio. For safety reasons, stairways and doorways must be kept clear. Visitations are limited to once per month per student. A signup sheet is available in the downstairs lobby for parents to select their observation day. Visitors should remain silent during class and refrain from conversation. Cell phones & other electronics, off. Visitors are not to interfere with or distract from class instruction in any manner. Minors must have an adult with them and must remain seated and quiet or will be asked to leave. To limit distractions, there are no in and out privileges for classroom visitors. The instructor has the right to close the class to all visitors if s/he feels it is necessary.
11. WAITING AREAS
Parents are welcome to wait in the patio garden area or the downstairs lobby. Please keep children off the railings. They are not safe for children to hang on. If the child falls, injury is likely to occur. We try to keep the garden attractive and available for use, so please take care that children respect the plants and decorations by not picking or trampling. If children are found to be deliberately destructive, they will be asked to leave the area and not return. Dancers waiting between classes must do so quietly.
12. DROP OFF AND PICK UP
Students enter and exit via the downstairs door and garden gate on 9th Avenue. Unless temporary arrangements are made, children may be dropped off no earlier than 10-15 minutes prior to the class start time, and picked up within 10 minutes after class end. A staff member will stay with young children until their rides arrive. A fee of $25 per quarter hour will be charged for children who are dropped off too early or picked up late. If the class is the last of the day, and if a teacher should have to stay overtime to care for a child, an additional $75 per half hour or fraction thereof will be charged.
13. REHEARSALS AND PERFORMANCES
Students enrolled in children’s dance classes prior to January 10 are eligible to perform on stage in the Star Dance Studio annual dance recitals/concerts in June. Please check our schedule or website for specific dates.
Theater performance eligibility requirements: Full attendance of classes and rehearsals, purchase of the required costume(s) and the student’s account paid in full. A mandatory dress rehearsal is held the Thursday prior to performance.
14. GRADUATING DANCE STUDENTS
High school seniors who are graduating from high school and who have attended Star Dance Studio classes for a minimum of 5 (five) consecutive years immediately prior to graduation are eligible to be honored with a graduation trophy. Students with greater than 5 consecutive years immediately prior to graduation may also be eligible for a graduation solo dance. Seniors interested in a solo should contact their dance instructor and/or the director for more information.
15. PHOTOS AND VIDEOS WAIVER
By registering for one or more classes, you understand and give permission for images of students taken by Star Dance Studio’s owners, staff, or agents, via video or photography during activities conducted by or with Star Dance Studio, to be used solely for the purpose of Star Dance Studio’s promotional material, including annual recital video, publications, and websites, and waive any rights to compensation or ownership thereto.
Smoking is not permitted in the building or within 20 feet of the front and back doors.
Star Dance is not responsible for lost or misplaced articles.
Students take classes at their own risk.
We are not responsible for injuries sustained while in the classroom or on the school premises.
Foods and beverages other than water are not permitted inside the building.
We ask that street shoes be removed before stepping on the dance floors.
Dance shoes should be reserved for the dance floors, and never worn on sidewalks.
Photographs taken by Star Dance Studio may be used on our website or printed as part of a school promotion.
We do not share your personal or contact information with third parties.
Please check our calendar for holiday closure dates.
17. WAIVER OF LIABILITY, INDEMNIFICATION, AND INJURY RELEASE
1. Participation in any physical activity involves risk of accidental injury despite any and all safety precautions. Understanding the activities to be conducted at or by Star Dance Studio (“Star”), I/we, as an individual or as a parent or guardian of the participants, assume all risks and hazards incidental to the activities, and release from responsibility and all liability, claims, costs, damages including attorneys fees and costs, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Star, its owners, directors, instructors, independent contractors, land owners, volunteers, and all employees from any loss or damage of property, any illness, injury or damage to me or my child(ren) or family members occurring during my/his/her/our participation in any activities conducted by Star.
2. I agree that I am personally responsible for my safety and actions while at Star and/or their virtual classes. I agree to comply with all Star policies and rules, including but not limited to, all Star, guidelines, signage, and instructions. Because Star is open for use by other individuals, I recognize that I am at higher risk of contracting COVID19. With full awareness and appreciation of the risks involved, I, for myself and on behalf of my family, spouse, estate, heirs, executors, administrators, assigns, and personal representatives, (“Releasors”) hereby forever release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue Star, its owner(s), officers, agents, servants, independent contractors, affiliates, employees, successors, land owner(s), and assigns (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever, directly or indirectly arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me or Releasors related to COVID19 or similar viruses whether caused by the negligence of the Released Parties, any third party using Star, or otherwise, while participating in any activity while in, on, or around Star and/or while using any Star facilities, equipment, or materials.
3. By signing below I acknowledge and represent that I have read the foregoing Waiver of Liability, Indemnification, and Injury Release understand it and agree to it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; I am sufficiently informed about the risks involved in using Star to decide whether to agree to this document; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made; I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; and I execute this document for full, adequate, and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by the same.
4. I certify I do not presently have, nor have I, or any member of my immediate family within the last fifteen (15) days had, any of the following COVID-19 or similar virus symptoms as outlined by the Center for Disease Control: shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, loss of taste or smell. If I or any of my family or children develops any of the aforementioned symptoms in the future, we will not attempt to use Star facilities. I certify that neither I nor any member of my immediate family have been advised by health officials to self-quarantine.
Last Updated: November 26, 2022